Seems lately I’ve been fixated on words that are commonly confused, so why stop now? The two words I’ve noticed recently that people seem to interchanged incorrectly are ADVICE and ADVISE.
- ADVISE – (S=Z sound): It’s a VERB, which means it shows ACTION. To ADVISE someone is to give them ADVICE or a recommendation.
- ADVICE – (C=S sound): It’s a NOUN, which means it’s a person, place, thing, idea, or concept. It’s a recommendation or a suggestion.
I think it’s the consonant sounds that trip up speakers and writers. Let’s take a look at a few examples:
- The teacher will advise you to take notes.
- The counselor advised us to select fewer courses.
- The teacher’s advice was helpful.
- The counselor’s advice was not applicable to us.