Lose and Loose

Writers continue to confuse the words LOSE and LOOSE. How many times have you read this in someone’s blog, forum post, or email: “How can I loose 10 pounds? Am I the only one who needs to talk about this?
grammar, grammar rule, english grammar, grammar check, grammar help

Okay, I don’t know any other way to explain this except to pull out the boring stuff…

  • LOOSE
    is an adjective (it describes nouns—people, places, things, ideas); examples: I have baggy, loose pants. Need some loose pocket change?

  • LOSE
    is a verb (it shows action or a state of being); examples: I need to lose weight. I think I’ll lose my mind.

Look, I don’t sit on the toilet and read the dictionary (okay, I do), but that’s neither here nor there (a future topic)…my point is that I’m not obsessed with grammar, but sometimes I see the same mistake over and over, and I feel it’s a cosmic calling, of sorts, telling me that it’s time
to mention it, somewhere.

For a lighter take on this topic, visit the Queen of Wands.


grammar, grammar rule, english, english grammar, check grammar, grammar check, english as a second language, english class, speak english like an american, grammar help, english grammar exercise, grammar for dummies, grammar for dummy, dummy english grammar, writer, freelance, freelance writer



DisneyShopping
LEGO

Suite101.com: Teaching & Technology articles

sb-kids.com Halloween Funbanner